“The best part about being an orthodontist is creating the smiles that create happiness. Growing up without straight teeth, I was self-conscious about my smile. As young girls, we are already conscious about all aspects of our changing bodies and self-image. Being hesitant to show my smile was an extra obstacle impeding my full personal potential. The day my parents allowed me to get braces changed my life forever. As people noticed my transformed smile, my confidence changed. I was more outgoing, spent more time with friends, and had more fun at school.
“The profound impact of orthodontic treatment led me to a career in orthodontics because I want to create smiles that create happiness for others. Now, as a mother, I have an appreciation for my parents in giving me the gift of a smile to change lives.” – Dr. Kim
- Bachelor of Science degree in Genetics – University of Kansas
- Doctorate of Dental Surgery – University of Missouri-Kansas City (UMKC)
- Advanced Education in General Dentistry residency– UMKC
- Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics residency – UMKC
- Master's of Science degree in Bone Biology - UMKC
While at UMKC, Dr. Kim refined her training on full-mouth reconstruction, implant restoration, and cosmetic dentistry. Her Master's research was focused on bone regulation and osteoporosis, which gave her the opportunity to speak at the national bone research meeting in Montreal, Canada, and was awarded Distinguished Master's Thesis Award from the university.
- Diplomate of the American Board of Orthodontics
- American Dental Association
- World Federation of Orthodontists
- American Association of Orthodontists
- Midwest Society of Orthodontists
- Minnesota Association of Orthodontists Board, Secretary/Treasurer
- UMKC Alumni Association, past President
- Zumbro Valley Dental Society, Board Member
- Smiles Change Lives Program provider since 2007
Outside the Office
Dr. Kim moved to Rochester in 2007 for her husband’s training at the Mayo Clinic. She feels fortunate to have joined GLK under the mentorship of Drs. Guenthner and Larson. She has grown to love Rochester and happy to call it home to raise her twin boys, Jaeden and Kobi. She loves to be a part of various events for non-profit organizations and supports local school activities and camps. The best part of being involved in the community is seeing her patients grow, achieving their success, and working together to help others!
Besides creating beautiful smiles, Dr. Kim enjoys spending time with her family and friends and traveling to continuing education meetings with colleagues.